Employment-Based Immigration

What Type of Immigrant Employment Visas are Available?

Immigrants may enter and work in the United States and obtain permanent resident status if they qualify under one of the employment-based categories. Practically speaking, most immigrant usually begin working for a company with a non-immigrant visa (such as a H1B or L visa) prior to their employer sponsoring them for one of the employment-based immigrant visas.

The major difference between the different employment categories is the education and skill requisites. The higher the employment category you qualify for, the shorter the waiting period in obtaining a permanent resident card. For example, a person who qualifies under the EB-1 category has no waiting period while a person who only qualifies for an EB-3 category will have to wait approximately two years. This is described in detail below.

Immigrant visas fall under the following immigrant (permanent residence) categories: